March 06, 2004
There is one thing that I find really quite out of point and meaningless about some interviews. And I really would like to try any of the below responses at these interview questions.
Interviewer: Tell me(us) something that is interesting about you.
response A: There is nothing about me that is not interesting, and I don't know where to begin telling you. To begin with, such is my attitude. If you are still interested in finding out about me, I don't mind telling you over some coffee. If not, can I at least have my photo back from the application form? No point wasting it. Thank you very much.
response B: There is nothing interesting about me except the fact that I am the kind who will drag myself out of bed this morning to attend an interview which asks me what is interesting about me and then pretend to be really interested in me. Erm, that's quite interesting, don't you think? Thank you.
response C: I am indeed an interesting person. But, wouldn't that make you a very dull person if you are only interested in hearing me say how interesting I am? Where's the fun in that?
response D: There are many things about me that are interesting. But, assuming that you are genuinely interested in me, you would need much more time to verify what I say about myself. And since we don't have much more time, can we go on to the next question?
response E: Well, the term 'interesting' has, since the early days of its being used, undergone massive changes in definitions. It used to only mean 'arousing curosity or concern'. But today, it is also used to describe condescending feelings of amusement, as figures of speech for boredom and even sarcasm. Personally, I believe that it will be more constructive if you could define what does 'interesting' mean to you. Thank you very much.
response F: I'm a Hobbit. *Interviewers look lost* I'm a hobbit and the One Ring was passed down to me by my Great, great grandfather, Frodo. Please don't take it away from me. I can see in your eyes that you want my prrreecciousss... Nooooo.....!!!
response G: I see dead people... (haha.. sudden idea)
There are dozens of ideas I can churn out to respond to this 'interesting' question. But, aiyah... why bother? hee
Will all employers please take note that there is a big difference between the following 2 questions:
1. Tell us something that is interesting about yourself.
2. Tell us why we should employ you.
The first one does not require answers that will be relevant to the position being applied. The second one obviously does.
Duh.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 14:59